B.E/B.Tech Degree Examination April/May 2010,Sixth Semester,
AE 1003-AIRCRAFT GENERAL ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE PRACTICES
Answer all the questions.
1. What is the purpose of jacking?
2. What type of equipment is used for towing the aircraft?
3. Enumerate the various ground power units used in aircraft maintenance.
4. What are the factors to make the cabin air contaminated with fumes?
5. What is shop safety?
6. State the precautions to be taken before starting electrical work in an aircraft.
7. Define 'inspection technique'.
8. Enumerate the various manuals in aircraft maintenance.
9. Differentiate between swaging and splicing.
10. Name the precision instruments used in an aircraft maintenance workshop.
11.(a) Describe in detail the starting procedure of piston engine aircraft. (16)
11.(b)(i) State the starting drill of a 'turbo jet' aircraft. (8)
(ii) Write down the refueling procedure being followed to refuel an aircraft. (8)
12.(a)(i) Describe the maintenance procedure of an air-conditioning system of an aircraft. (8)
(ii) What are the inspection and checks being carried out on pressurization of an aircraft? Explain.(8)
12.(b) Write short notes on:
(i) Maintenance of aircraft hydraulic system.(8)
(ii) Maintenance of oil system. (8)
13.(a) Describe the safety aspects of the aero workshop. (16)
13.(b)Discuss the environmental cleanliness of aircraft maintenance. (16)
14.(a) Write short notes on:
(i) Type certificate date sheets. (8)
(ii) Service bulletins. (8)
14.(b)(i) What is a check list? (4)
(ii) Explain the special inspection carried out during "hard or overweight landing" and the aircraft had passed through "severe turbulence". (12)
15. (a) Explain the special tools and equipments used in an airplane maintenance shop. (16)
15.(b)(i) Explain with the sketches the types threads and their advantages. (8)
(ii)Discuss in detail the various types of bearings used in aircraft systems. (8)