1. (a) Find the whole circle bearings of the following quadrant bearings:
(i) AP – N 35o15’ E (ii) AQ – S 32o00’ E (iii) AR – S 55o 15’ W
(iv) AS – N 40o 30’ W
(b) Find the quadrant bearing of the following whole circle bearings:
(i) PA 35o 15’ (ii) PB – 130o00’ (iii) PC – 210o 15’ (iv) PD – 290o 45’
2. Explain the following :
(a) Ranging and its types (b) Chaining (c) Offsetting (d) Advantages and
disadvantages of chain surveying.
3. Explain the following methods of calculating areas:
(a) Mid ordinate rule (b) Average ordinate rule (c) Trapezoidal rule (d) Simpson’s
4. The following offset were taken at 10 m intervals from a survey line to an irregular boundary line.
3.62m, 2.58m, 6.12m, 8.70m, 5.44m, 6.08m and 4.56m
Calculate the area enclosed between the survey line, the irregular boundary line and first and last offsets, by the application of (a) Average ordinate rule (b) Trapezoidal rule (c) Simpson’s rule.
5. The following offsets were measured from a chain line to the boundary of a plot.
Distance in metres
Offset in metres
Find the area enclosed between the boundary, chain line and the end offsets.
6. (a) Explain the principle of chain and compass surveying.
(b) Explain briefly about the theodolite surveying and briefly explain its essential
7. Explain briefly about the level and leveling staff, with suitable sketches.
8. The following staff readings were taken with a level, the instrument having been
moved after third and seventh readings:
2.340; 1.725; 0.625; 2.890; 2.200; 1.420; 0.805; 0.505; 1.485; 0.980
Enter the above readings in a page of level book and calculate the reduced levels of
the points if the first was taken with a staff held on a bench mark of 100.00 m
9. State the merits and demerits of plane table surveying.
10. What are the characters and uses of contour maps.
11. List out the physical properties of materials, explain any eight.
12. List out the mechanical properties of materials, explain any eight.
13. (a) List out the qualities of good building stone.
(b) List out the uses of stones.
14. What are the various types of stones in India, explain.
15. Explain briefly about the various steps involved in the manufacture of bricks.
16. Write brief notes on the following:
(a) Hand moulding and its types (b) Machine moulding.
17. (a) List out the qualities of good bricks.
(b) Write short notes on sun dried bricks and burnt bricks.
18. Explain briefly about the special types of bricks.
19. Explain briefly about the various steps involved in the manufacture of bricks.
20. Explain the following operations involved in the manufacturing of cements.
(a) Mixing of raw materials (b) Burning (c) Grinding.
21. State the properties and uses of ordinary or Portland cement
22. List out the various types of cement, and state its uses.
23. With the neat sketches, briefly explain about the commercial forms of steel.
24. What do you meant by Industrial Timber? Explain the following varieties of industrial timber.
(a) Veneers (b) Ply woods (c) Fibre Boards (d) Impreg Boards (e) Compreg boards.
25. What are the various steps involved in the manufacture of concrete, explain.