Department of Electronics Communication Engineering
Department : B.E ECE
Semester : V
Year : 3rd yr
Regulation : 2008
Subject Code : GE2211
Subject Name : Environmental Science and Engineering
Content : Environmental Science and Engineering – Important Questions with Keys – 1st Edition of 2012.
1. Explain about the importance of environmental study. Any16 points with explanation
2. Explain about the ways to create public awareness in environmental issues.
16 points with explanation
3. Discuss about over-exploitation of forests. i. Causes
ii. Consequences iii. A case study
4. Explain briefly about the conventional energy sources. i. Coal
ii. Oil or Petroleum
iii. Natural gas
iv. Nuclear energy
5. What are the role of individual in conservation of natural resources and sustainability?
i. Conserve water
ii. Conserve energy iii. Protect the soil
iv. Promote sustainable agriculture
1.Explain about population characteristics and population explosion.
i. Definitions on Exponential growth, doubling time, Total fertility rates, Infant mortality rate, replacement level, age structure
iii. Indian scenario on population explosion iv. Views on population growth
2. Write notes on human rights. i. Human rights conferences
ii. Human rights in India
iii. Rights and duties of a citizen
iv. Draft declaration of human rights and environment
3. Write notes on value education. i. Definition
iii. Value education in the context of environment iv. Principles
4. Explain about women and child welfare. i. Women welfare
ii. Child welfare
5. Explain about role of Information Technology in Environment and human health. i. Information
ii. Need for computerization iii. Role of IT
iv. Application of IT in environment v. Application of IT in health
vi. Application of IT in environment and health
1. What do you know about „sustainable development‟? What are the important components of sustainable development?
iv. 3 R concept
v. Carrying capacity
2. What do you know about „water conservation‟? Mention some of the techniques of water conservation.
i. Decreasing run-off losses
ii. Reducing evaporation losses iii. Storing water in soil
iv. Reducing irrigation losses v. Re-use of water
vi. Preventing wastage of water vii. Increasing block pricing
3. Write a brief note on the problems and concerns about resettlement and rehabilitation of people.
i. Problems and concerns ii. Case study
iii. Rehabilitation issues iv. Rehabilitation policies
4. What are the impacts of acid rain on the environment? Any 16 points with explanation
5. What do you know about „Ozone‟ and „Ozone layer depletion‟?
ii. Equations with explanation
iii. Factors affecting depletion iv. Effects of depletion
1. What are the different sources and types of air pollutants?
i. Natural Sources
ii. Man made or anthropogenic sources
2. How do you control air pollution?
ii. Control at source
3. What do you know about soil pollution? What are the different sources of soil pollution?
Urban wastes Industrial wastes Agricultural
Soil conditioners Farm house wastes Radioactive wastes Biological agents
4. What are the different sources of marine pollution?
i. Land based sources ii. Air based sources
iii. Maritime transportation iv. Dumping of wastes
v. Offshore production
5. What are the causes of noise pollution?
i. Road traffic noise ii. Air traffic noise iii. Rail traffic noise iv. Domestic noise v. Industrial noise
vi. Incompatible land use noise
6. Explain clearly about the stages of solid waste management. Generation
i. Online handling and processing ii. Collection and Transportation iii. Processing
7. What are the important stages of hazardous waste management?
ii. Collection and transportation iii. Treatment
1. Explain briefly about the characteristic of ecosystems. Any 10 points with explanation
2. How can you classify the ecosystems?
i. Natural ecosystem ii. Artificial ecosystem
iii. Incomplete ecosystem
3. Discuss about the structural and functional components of an ecosystem. i. Structural Components
1. Biotic structure
2. Abiotic structure
ii. Functional components
1. Food chain, food web, trophic structure iii. Energy Flow
iv. Cycling of nutrients
v. Primary and secondary production
vi. Ecosystem development and regulation
4. With a neat sketch explain about the energy and nutrient flow through an ecosystem.
i. Energy flow laws ii. Model
iii. Nutrient cycling
1. Nitrogen cycle
2. Carbon cycle
3. Phosphorus cycle
4. Hydrological cycle
5. Explain about the different types of biodiversity. i. Genetic diversity
ii. Species diversity
iii. Ecosystem diversity
6. Discuss regarding biogeographical classification of India.
India‟s major biogeographic habitats
7. Classify and explain about the value of biodiversity. i. Consumptive use value
ii. Productive use value iii. Social value
iv. Ethical value
v. Aesthetic value vi. Option values
vii. Ecosystem service value