Anna University, Chennai
MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY - I UNIT – I
METAL CASTING PROCESSES
PART – A
1. Define foundry?
2. Define Pattern?
3. Name the various pattern materials.
4. What are the different types of patterns used in foundries?
5. What is the main purpose of providing pattern allowances?
6. What are the difference between shaking allowance and other allowances?
7. State the various types of core boxes?
8. What are the different types of moulding sand?
9. What are the properties of good moulding sand?
10. List any five moulding tools?
11. What are the uses of runner and riser?
12. What is the function of swab?
13. What is the use of vent wire?
14. What are chaplets?
15. How the percentage of moisture content is estimated?
16. Write down the formula for calculating the percentage of clay content?
17. Define AFS grain finess number?
18. What are the parameters involved in determining the strength of the moulding sand?
19. State the different types of moulding processes?
20. Differentiate between green sand mould and dry sand mould?
21. What are the different types of furnaces used for casting?
22. State the main function of tuyers in cupola furnace?
23. What are the types of crucible furnace?
24. How many electrodes are used in direct arc furnace?
25. State the principle of thermocouple pyrometer?
26. What is die casting?
27. How does hot chamber process differ from cold chamber process?
28. Mention few applications of investment casting?
29. Name any two cast products of shell mould?
30. State the purpose of giving lubricating casting in a gravity die casting?
31. Why clay and weights are used in sand casting?
32. State any two applications of continuous casting?
33. What are the various types of moulding machines?
34. Define the term Skim bob?
35. What are the external mediums loaded with the casting in tumbling process?
36. Give four reasons for the casting defect “hot tear’?
37. Why the shift will occur?
38. What are the causes and remedies for fin defects?
39. Mention any two reasons for occurring of ‘swell’?
40. How casting defects are identified?
PART – B
1. Describe the various types of pattern materials in detail?
2. Explain the types of pattern in detail?
3. Explain skeleton pattern briefly with a neat sketch and compare with sweep pattern?
4. What are pattern allowances? Explain briefly each?
5. What are the different types of cores? Explain any three.
6. Mention the various types of core ovens and briefly explain them?
7. Explain the various stages in core making process?
8. Explain CO2 process of core making. State its advantages and applications.
9. Mention various tests for testing the moulding sand and explain any three in detail.
10. List the various types of moulding sand and write short notes on green sand and dry sand?
11. List out the moulding tools and explain any seven in detail?
12. Explain Green sand mould and Shell moulding with suitable sketches?
13. With a neat sketch of a cupola explain its operation?
14. How does the electric arc furnace melt the metal? Explain direct arc furnace and compare with indirect arc furnace?
15. What is meant by crucible furnace? What are their types? Explain any two in detail with neat
16. Explain briefly the various moulding methods used in foundries?
17. Explain centrifugal casting with neat sketch?
18. Explain investment casting. What are its advantages?
19. Compare die-casting over sand casting process?
20. Explain full moulding process briefly? Mention its advantages and limitations.
21. Explain with a neat sketch the hot chamber die casting process. How does the cold chamber process differ from hot chamber process?
22. Explain with a neat sket5ch the gravity die casting process?
23. Explain centrifugal casting and continuous casting with neat sketches?
24. Enumerate various casting defects and suggest suitable remedies?
UNIT – II JOINING PROCESSES PART – A
1. List out different metal joining processes?
2. Define welding process?
3. How does plastic welding differ from fusion welding?
4. Define autogeneous?
5. What are the functions of flux in welding electrode?
6. Define arc crater.
7. What do you understand by straight polarity?
8. What are the three main types of consumable electrodes?
9. What is the purpose of using inert gas in TIG welding?
10. Differentiate between consumable electrode and non-consumable electrode?
11. How does TIG welding differs from MIG welding?
12. Where the parts to be welded are kept in submerged arc welding?
13. Define resistance welding.
14. Mention the various types of resistance welding?
15. What is the main difference between upset butt welding and flash butt welding?
16. What is the function of welding torch?
17. What is the purpose of using flux in gas welding?
18. What are the various types of flame?
19. How the neutral flame can be obtained?
20. Where the carburising flame is mainly used in welding?
21. How the oxidizing flame is obtained?
22. State the movement of the welding torch in rightward or backward welding?
23. State the applications of air acetylene welding?
24. What are the basic components of laser welding?
25. What are the advantages of friction welding?
26. What are the main components of electro slag welding?
27. Define plasma arc welding?
28. What is the composition of thermit weld?
29. Define brazing?
30. Give the composition of electrician and plumber solder?
31. Define soldering?
32. What are the types of brazing?
33. Give applications of braze welding?
34. Define silver brazing?
35. Define weldability?
36. What is diffusion welding?
37. Give the classification of brazing methods
38. What are the soldering methods?
39. What are the adhesive bonded joints?
40. What are the types of adhesives?
PART – B
1. Briefly explain the types of welding ?
2. Explain the construction and operation of gas welding process?
3. Explain the construction and operation of metal arc welding?
4. Explain the construction and operation of TIG welding?
5. Explain the construction and operation resistance welding?
6. Explain the construction and operation percussion welding?
7. Explain the construction and operation submerged arc welding process?
8. Explain the construction and operation electro slag welding process?
9. Explain the construction and operation plasma arc welding process?
10.Explain the construction and operation thermit welding process?
11.Explain the construction and operation electron beam welding process?
12.Explain the construction and operation friction welding process?
13.Explain the construction and operation diffusion welding process?
14.Explain the construction and operation MIG welding process?
15.Briefly explain about the types of defects in welding process?
16.Briefly explain about the brazing and soldering process?
17.Briefly explain about the filler materials and fluxes?
18.Briefly explain about the types of adhesive bonding?
19.Briefly explain about the types of gas welding
20.Briefly explain about the equipments used in welding process?
21.Briefly explain about the types of flames and its characteristics?
1. Define cold working of metals?
2. Define re-crystallization temperature?
3. Define the process of mechanical working of metals?
4. Define hot working of metals?
5. What are the advantages of hot working over cold working?
6. Give the classifications of rolling mills?
7. What is meant by semi or warm hot working?
8. Define forging?
9. Give some basic forging operations?
10. Define upsetting?
11. Define extrusion ratio?
12. What is meant by cold spinning?
13. Define hot spinning?
14. Define impact extrusion?
15. Define tube drawing?
16. Define degree of drawing?
17. Name four different press working operations?
18. What are the defects in forging operations?
19. Define slab plate sheet and strip?
20. Define forgeability?
21. Define powder forging?
22. Explain isothermal forging?
23. Explain orbital forging?
24. Define gatorizing?
25. Name two metals having re-crystallization at room temperature?
26. What are two common methods of thread rolling?
27. What are the advantages of cold rolling?
28. What are types of force welds?
29. Give some hand tools which are used in forging operations?
30. What are the types of hammers used in forging operations?
31. What are the methods used for producing seamless tube?
32. What is the formula for work done to make a cut?
33. What is the difference between a bloom and a billet?
34. Describe the methods used for cleaning the forging?
35. Write short notes on super plastic forging?
36. What is the formula used for calculating roll force?
37. What are the defects in rolled parts?
38. What is the formula used for power per roll?
39. What are the types of hot extrusion process?
40. What are the classifications of tube drawing process?
1. Explain the hot working and cold working with suitable example?
2. Define rolling and discuss according to the classification?
3. Discuss the various forging operations?
4. Discuss closed die forging and open die forging?
5. Give the advantages of press forging and over drop forging?
6. What are the defects in forging explain it?
7. Define extrusion and explain the various classifications?
8. How the pipe and tubes are manufacturing?
9. Define drawing and discuss the classifications with neat sketch?
10. What are the various press working operations?
11. Explain the bending terminology?
12. Differentiate between press forgings and hammer forging?
13. Explain the working of some drawing equipments?
14. Explain the flat strip rolling process?
15. Explain shape rolling operations?
16. What do you understand about thread rolling explain?
17. What are the defects in rolled parts?
1. What is sheet metal work?
2. Give any ten tools used in sheet metal hand operations?
3. Write down any four sheet metal characteristics?
4. What is meant by clearance?
5. Mention the effect of insufficient clearance?
6. What is meant by seaming?
7. State the advantage of press working operations?
8. What is stretching?
9. Define the term spring back?
10. How force exerted on the form block is calculated?
11. What are the advantages of stretch forming operations?
12. List out the applications of stretch forming operations?
13. State the law of process of fracture in formability?
14. State the law of geometrical similitude?
15. What are the formability test methods?
16. Mention the various types of simulative test carried out for various cup forming process?
17. What are the applications of forming limit diagram?
18. Define special forming process?
19. What are the types of special forming process?
20. What are the advantages of hydroforming process?
21. State the limitations and applications of rubber pad forming process?
22. How rubber hydro forming is carried out?
23. What is metal spinning process?
24. Describe power spinning process?
25. Mention the advantages of power spinning process?
26. State the advantages of explosive forming process?
27. What is peen forming process?
28. What are the advantages and disadvantages of peen forming process?
29. What is super plasticity of metals?
30. What are the various materials developed for super plastic forming process?
31. Mention the advantages of super plastic forming process?
32. What are the applications of super plastic forming process?
33. Name the various process performed by explosive process?
34. What are the various measuring tools used in sheet metal operations?
35. Write down any four sheet metal characteristics?
36. State the methods of stretch forming process?
37. How upper die is pressed against the sheet metal surface in rubber pad forming process?
38. State the various methods of metal spinning process/
39. How magnetic pulse is created?
40. Mention the effect of insufficient clearance?
1. Describe sheering operations in a sheet metal work with a neat sketch?
2. How press capacity for shearing operations can be determined?
3. Describe various types of bending operations with its neat sketches?
4. Write down the step by step procedure for determining pass capacity for drawing operations?
5. What is sketch forming? How it is carried out in sheet metal?
6. Explain any one method of stretch forming operation with a neat sketch?
7. Write short notes on formability tests?
8. Explain hydroforming process with neat sketches?
9. Describe the rubber pad forming process with neat sketches. How it is differed from rubber hydro forming process?
10. Explain the power spinning process with neat sketch. Give the their applications
11. Describe explosive forming process with a neat sketch?
12. How magnetic pulse forming process is carried out on sheet metal?
13. Explain peen forming process with a neat sketch?
14. What is super plastic of metal? How this process is carried out on sheet metal?
15. Write short notes on super plastic forming materials?
1. How the plastic is defined?
2. How the organic materials are classified?
3. What are the materials used for processing plastics?
4. Give some examples for additives?
5. Give some examples for fillers?
6. What are the types of plastics?
7. What are the processes of thermo-plastics?
8. What are the processes of thermosetting-plastics?
9. What are the types of compression moulding?
10. What are the types of laminate?
11. What are the foamed plastics?
12. Define co polymerization?
13. What are the fusion and solvent methods?
14. What are the processes involved in laminates?
15. Give some additives added to the manufacturing of rubber?
1. What are the types of plastics?
2. What are the characteristics of the forming and shaping process?
3. What are the types of moulding of thermo plastics?
4. Explain the working principles and applications of a) injection moulding
b) blow moulding
c) rotational moulding d) film moulding
5. Explain the extrusion process?
6. Explain the thermo forming process?
7. Explain the working principles and applications a) compression moulding
b) transfer moulding
8. What is bonding of thermo plastics?
9. What are the fusion and solvent methods?
10. Explain induction and ultra sonic methods?