Anna University, Chennai
THEORY OF METAL CUTTING
1. 1.Explain orthogonal cutting and oblique cutting with its neat sketches and compare?
2. Define the various tool parts of a single point cutting tool with a neat sketches?
3. what is a chip? what are different types of chips? How are they formed?
4. 4.Explain the types of chip formed during machining process?
5. What are the different types of cutting fluids used in machining process?
6. What is the use of a chip breaker? Discuss the various types of chips produced during metal machining process?
7. Explain the basic actions of cutting fluids?
UNIT – 2
CENTRE LATHE AND SPECIAL PURPOSE LATHES
1. Describe some of the methods and equipments for holding work on a lathe?
2. Explain with neat sketches the various methods of turning a taper?
3. Write down the differences between a capstan lathe and turret lathe?
4. Explain the tool layout for the production of a Hexagonal bolt in a capstan lathe?
5. Explain with neat sketch the working of a swiss type automatic lathe?
6. Difference between parallel action and progressive action multi- spindle automatics?
7. Describe the working principle of multi-spindle automatics? Give its advantages and application?
OTHER MACHINE TOOLS
1. Describe with neat sketch whit-worth quick return mechanism used in shaper?
2. Explain the hydraulic drive of a horizontal shaper with neat sketches?
3. Describe with neat sketch crank and slotted link quick return mechanism used in shaper?
4. Difference between the shaper and planer machine?
5. How do you specify a planer?
6. Make a note on different types of work holding devices used in a slotting machine?
7. Explain different types of milling cutters?
8. Explain simple indexing , compound indexing and differential indexing with suitable examples?
9. Sketch and explain the working principle of upright drilling machine?
10. Explain Gang milling machine?
11. Explain with neat sketch of Radial drilling machine?
12. Explain the working principle of continuous broaching machines?
13. Explain horizontal boring machine?
14. Explain vertical boring machine?
15. Explain the various types of broaches with necessary sketch?
UNIT – 4
ABRASIVE PROCESSES AND GEAR CUTTING
1. How do you classify cylindrical grinders? what is the difference between “plain
and universal” cylindrical grinder?
2. Explain the salient features of a centreless grinding machine and discuss the different operations that can be carried out in it.mention some advantages?
3. Briefly discuss about the different types of abrasives used in a grinding wheel?
4. Describe the use of cutting fluids in grinding?
5. Difference between gear forming and generating?
6. Explain the principle of operation of gear hobbing operation what are the advantages of gear hobbing?
7. Give the advantages and limitations of gear hobbing?
8. compare gear hobbing with gear shaping?
UNIT – 5
CNC MACHINE TOOLS AND PART PROGRAMMING
1. Discuss about the following with neat sketch and with suitable example closed loop system and open loop system.
straight line system line system and continuous system
2. Discuss the major elements of CNC machine tools?
3. Describe with neat sketch various steps in computer assisted part programming?
4. compare NC and CNC and DNC?
5. Write short notes on: (i) NC machines
(ii) APT programming
(iii) G and M codes
(iv) CNC machine Vs conventional machine
6. write short notes on APT language?
7. Discuss the advantages of CNC?
8. Discuss major elements of CNC machine tools?