Department of Civil Engineering
Subject Name: Highway Engineering
Subject Code: CE 1255
Part 1 of 2 - Two Mark Question with answers
1. Define central road fund?
On the recornmendation of Jayhawker committee, central Road fund came into existence on 1st march 1929, Upon the authority of a resolution adopted by the Indian legislature.
2. Define National Highway Act 1956?
In 1956, National Highway act was passed declaring the National Highways and empowering the central Govt to declare any other highway to be NH. This act came into force with effect from 15th April 1957.
3. Explain CRRI?
CRRI- The central Road Research Institute Delhi in 1950 It is an organ of the council of scientific and industrial research, and in function include.
4. Write Short notes on Highway Research Board? This board was set up by I.R.C in 1973 to give proper direction and guidance to road research work in India.
5. What are classified roads in Nagpur plan?
1. National Highways (NH)
2. State Highways (SH)
3. District Roads:
(1) Major district Roads
(2) Other district Roads
4. Village roads.
6. Define Express ways?
These roads are of higher, day than National highway. There are Such roads on which only font moving vehicles like car and jeeps are classified.
7. What are the modified classification of Road system by Third RDP (1981- 2001)
1. Primary System
2. Secondary System
3. Tertiary system
8. What are type of Road patterns?
1. Rectangular (or) Black pattern.
2. Radial (or) Star and black pattern.
9. Write short notes or Nagpur plan (or) Its 20-year Road plan.
The first attempt for proper Scientific planning of roads in India, Wan made in chief Engineers conference held at Nagpur in 1943. Nagpur conference finalized at 20 years (1943-1963) road development plan.
10. Write short notes on Second twenty year road plan (1961-81)
A Second road development programmer (1961-81) was finalized by the chief engineers connected with road development, both at centre and Staten in a meeting held at Hyde Chad in 1959.
11. What are the fundamental principles of alignment?
1. Length of road should be shortest
2. The Proposed road should form a most economical line.
3. The alignment should provide corny.
12. What are the function which control the selection of alignment?
1. Volume and type of traffic
2. Obligatory points
3. Canal river (or) railway crossings
4. Geotechnical standard to he adopted
13. Define obligatory point?
Obligatory point are such points which act to control points in highway alignment.
14. What are special considerations for him road alignment?
1. Stability 2. Drainage 3. Geometric standard 4. Deep writing
and heavy fillings should he avoided.
15. What are the varies type of Engineering surveys?
1. Map shady
2. Reconnaissance survey
3. Preliminary survey
4. Detailed Survey
16. What are two type of road project?
1. A new highway Project
2. Re-alignment (or) revenging Highway project
17. What are head involved in Highway Geometric?
1. Cross Section eleventh like camber, Super elevation
2. Sight distance character sight like stopping sight distance, overtaking sight distance etc.
3. Honzontal and vertical alignments
18. Define camber?
Traverse slope given to the road surface in called camber. It is provided mainly to drain off rain water from the road surface.
19. What are the factors deepens on camber?
1. Account of Surface
2. Type ground surface
20. What camber recommended in WBM Road?
Water Bound Macadam road
1 to 33 (3%) 1 in 40 (2.5%).
21. What camber recommended in bihiminour road?
Bihiminour surface 1 in 40 (2.5%) 1 in 50 (2%)
22. What camber recommended in cement concrete Road?
Cement concrete Road 1 in 50 (2%) 1 in 60 (1.7%)
23. What are the different type of camber?
1. parabolic camber
2. Sloped camber
3. Composite camber
24. Define carriage way width?
Metal led puce strip of road meant for vehicular traffic movement in called carriage way.
25. Define dual carriageways?
Each portion of the carriageway is reserved for traffic moving in opposite direction. Such carriage ways are called dual carriageways.
26. What are the width of carriage way in meteor two lane without raised wert state highways?
State highways 7.0 m
27. Write note on high speed barrier herb?
This herb is 23cm to 45cm to height . This herb is mainly used at initial location such as bridge and hill roads.
28. Define formation width?
Formation width is also called road way. It is the sum of width of carriage way shoulders, and separations it provided
29. Define Right of way:-
Area to the acquired along the road alignment in called right of way.
30. Define sight distance?
Sight distance in the actual length of road over which a driver sitting at a specified height in a vehicle can see objects either moving (or) stationary on the road surface.
31. What are classification of sight distance depending upon the situation?
1. Stopping sight distance
2. Sate overtaking sight distance
3. Sight distance at intersection
32. Define S.S. D?
Stopping sight distance is the minimum distance required with in which a vehicle moving at designed speed can be stopped without colliding with a stationary object on the road surface.
33. What is the height of driver eye above the road surface?
IRC recommended height of driver eye is 1.22m.
34. Define reaction time:-
It is the time in seconds which a driver can take from the instant the objects visible to him to the instant the brakes are effectively applied.
35. Define perception period?
Perception period is the time taken by an average driver to realize a danger a head before actually trying to apply the breaker.
36. Define overtaking sight distance (OSD)
The distance visible to the driver of a vehicle intending to overtake another slow moving vehicle, without causing any inconvenience (or) possibility of accident to the traffic in the opposite direction in called overtaking sight distance (or) safe passing sight distance.
37. Define design speed?
Design speed can be defined as the speed which is permissible for safe and comfortable driving on a given surface of the highway.
38. What are the two effects of centrifugal force?
1. Tendency to overturn the vehicle.
2. Tendency to skid the vehicle laterally.
39. Define super elevation?
The outer edge of the road in raised above the inner edge
called super elevation (or) cant (or) banking.
40. What is the elation between super elevation, continuant of friction and centrifugal force
elf = v2 127R e = super elevation whose value is taken an 40 (or) 1/15 f = Lateral frictional coefficient whose value in,R = Radian of curve in metros ,g = 9.8,V = speed of vehicle in m/sec.
41. What is the maximum rules of super elevation ?
v2 e = ----225R
This formula assumer that centrifugal force corresponding to 75% of the designed speed is balanced by super elevation and the next winter acted by the side friction.
42. Define horizontal curve?
It is a curve in plan to provide change in the direction of the central time by the road surface.
43. What are the factors attesting the design of curve?
1. Design speed of the vehicle
2. Allowable friction
3. Maximum allowable super elevation.
4. Permissible centrifugal ration.
44. Define vertical curve?
It is a curve in the longitudinal section of a highway to provide a easy change of the gradient.
45. What are curve used in a highway.
1. Circular curve
2. Transition curve
3. Parabolic curve
46. What is the value of radian of the simple curve?
R= 1720m app
47. Define compound curve?
A compound curve currish of a serial of hoot (or) more simple curve that run in the same direction and joint at common tangent point.
48. Define Reverse curve?
A reverse curve consist of two simple curve opposite direction that point at the common tangent point. This common point in called the point of reverse curve
49. What are the types of transition curve?
1. True spiral (or clothed.
2. cubic spiral.
3. cubic parabolic.
50. What are characteristics of Transition curve?
1. It should meet the straight path tangentially
2. It should meet the circular curve tangentially