Anna University Syllabus
EE2301 POWER ELECTRONICS
Subject Code : EE2301
Subject Name : POWER ELECTRONICS
L - 3
T - 0
P - 0
C – 3
Semester : 5th Sem
Year : 3rd yr
Department : EEE
Learning how to apply the electronic devices for conversion, control and conditioning of electronic power.
· To get an overview of different types of power semi-conductor devices and their switching characteristics.
· To understand the operation, characteristics and performance parameters of controlled rectifiers.
· To study the operation, switching techniques and basic topologics of DC-DC switching regulators.
· To learn the different modulation techniques of pulse width modulated inverters and to understand the harmonic reduction methods.
· To study the operation of AC voltage controller and Matrix converters.
· To study simple applications
UNIT I POWER SEMI-CONDUCTOR DEVICES 9
Study of switching devices, - Frame, Driver and snubber circuit of SCR, TRIAC,BJT, IGBT, MOSFET,- Turn-on and turn-off characteristics, switching losses, Commutation circuits for SCR,
UNIT II PHASE-CONTROLLED CONVERTERS 9
2-pulse, 3-pulse and 6-pulse converters – Effect of source inductance – performance parameters – Reactive power control of cnverters – Dual converters - Battery charger.
UNIT III DC TO DC CONVERTER 9
Step-down and step-up chopper - Time ratio control and current limit control – Buck, boost, buck- boost converter, concept of Resonant switching - SMPS.
UNIT IV INVERTERS 9
Single phase and three phase (both 1200 mode and 1800 mode) inverters - PWM techniques: Sinusoidal PWM, modified sinusoidal PWM - multiple PWM – Introduction to space vector modulations - Voltage and harmonic control - Series resonant inverter - Current source inverter.
UNIT V AC TO AC CONVERTERS 9
Single phase AC voltage controllers – Multistage sequence control - single and three phase cycloconverters –Introduction to Integral cycle control, Power factor control and Matrix converters.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. M.H. Rashid, ‘Power Electronics: Circuits, Devices and Applications’,
Pearson Education, PHI Third edition, New Delhi 2004.
2. Philip T.Krein, “Elements of Power Electronics” Oxford University Press, 2004 Edition.
1. Ashfaq Ahmed Power Electronics for Technology Pearson Education, Indian reprint, 2003.
2. P.S.Bimbra “Power Electronics” Khanna Publishers, third Edition 2003.
3. Ned Mohan, Tore.M.Undeland, William.P.Robbins, ‘Power Electronics: Converters, Applications and Design’, John Wiley and sons, third edition, 2003.