B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011.
Computer Science and Engineering
CS 2352 — PRINCIPLES OF COMPILER DESIGN
Time : Three hours
Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
1. What is the role of lexical analyzer?
2. Give the transition diagram for an identifier.
3. Define handle pruning.
4. Mention the two rules for type checking.
5. Construct the syntax tree for the following assignment statement: a:=b*- c+b*-c.
6. What are the types of three address statements?
7. Define basic blocks and flow graphs.
8. What is DAG?
9. List out the criterias for code improving transformations.
10. When does dangling reference occur?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 marks)
11. (a) (i) Describe the various phases of compiler and trace it with the program segment (position: = initial + rate * 60). (10)
State the complier construction tools. Explain them. (6)
(b) (i) Explain briefly about input buffering in reading the source
program for finding the tokens. (8)
(ii) Construct the minimized DFA for the regular expression
(0+1)*(0+1) 10. (8)
12. (a) Construct a canonical parsing table for the grammar given below.
Also explain the algorithm used. (16)
E → E + T
F → (E )
E → T
F → id .
T → T * F
T → F
(b) What are the different storage allocation strategies? Explain. (16)
13. (a) (i) Write down the translation scheme to generate code for assignment statement. Use the scheme for generating three address code for the assignment statement g: = a+b-c*d. (8)
(ii) Describe the various methods of implementing three-address statements. (8)
(b) (i) How can Back patching be used to generate code for Boolean expressions and flow of control statements? (10)
(ii) Write a short note on procedures calls. (6)
14. (a) (i) Discuss the issues in the design of code generator. (10)
(ii) Explain the structure-preserving transformations for basic
(b) (i) Explain in detail about the simple code generator. (8)
(ii) Discuss briefly about the Peephole optimization. (8)
15. (a) Describe in detail the principal sources of optimization. (16)
(b) (i) Explain in detail optimization of basic blocks with example. (8)
(ii) Write about Data flow analysis of structural programs. (8)