Department of Computer Science& Engineering
Principles of compiler design
UNIT - 1
01. What is a translator?
02. Differentiate interpreters and compilers.
03. What are loaders and linkers?
04. What is an assembler?
05. What are the phases of a compiler?
06. What is bootstrapping a compiler?
07. What are the two parts of compilation? Explain briefly?
08. What is a structure editor?
09. What is preprocessor?
10. What is cross compiler?
11. What is lexical analyzer?
12. Give the parse tree for the statement a:= b + c*60.
14. What is a symbol table?
15. Briefly explain code optimization.
16. What are rational preprocessors?
17. What is the use of scanner generator?
18. What are the characteristics of a high-level programming language?
19. What do you mean by syntax and semantics of a language?
20. Give the hierarchy of programming elements.
22. Give some four compiler-generator tools.
23. Define Macros.
24. Define code generation phase.
25. Define intermediate code generation phase.
26. Mention the cousins of the compiler.
27. What are the functions of a linker?
28. What is an object program?
29. Define a token.
30. What is a preprocessor?
31. Give the format of a macro definition.
32. What is the need of syntax analysis?
33. Difference between Assembly language and Machine language.
34. Difference between compiler and interpreter.
1. Explain the various parameter passing mechanisms of a high level language. 
2. Explain about lexical analyzer and its role in detail. 
3. Explain the phases of the compiler in detail. Write down the output of each phase for the expression a := b + c * 50. 
4. Describe how various phases could be combined as a single pass in a compiler. 
5. Write short notes on:
(i) Loaders and Linkers. 
(ii) Assemblers. 
6.(i)Discuss the compiler construction tools.  (ii)Discuss about the Lexical Analyzer and its Role. 
7. Explain about Tokens, specification of tokens, recognition of tokens 
i) Functions of lexical Analyzer 
ii)Input Buffering technique. 
9. Explain i) Types of compiler . 
ii) Cousins of compiler.