Anna University Syllabus
EC2311 COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
Subject Code : EC2311
Subject Name : COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
L – 3
P - 0
T - 0
C – 3
Semester : 5th Sem
Year : 3rd yr
Department : EEE
To introduce the concepts of communication systems engineering using wire and wireless medium
· To introduce different methods of analog communication and their significance
· To introduce Digital Communication methods for high bit rate transmission
· To introduce the concepts of source and line coding techniques for enhancing rating of transmission of minimizing the errors in transmission.
· To introduce MAC used in communication systems for enhancing the number of users.
· To introduce various media for digital communication
UNIT I ANALOG COMMUNICATION 9
AM – Frequency spectrum – vector representation – power relations – generation of AM – DSB, DSB/SC, SSB, VSB AM Transmitter & Receiver; FM and PM – frequency spectrum – power relations : NBFM & WBFM, Generation of FM and DM, Amstrong method & Reactance modulations : FM & PM frequency.
UNIT II DIGITAL COMMUNICATION 9
Pulse modulations – concepts of sampling and sampling theormes, PAM, PWM, PPM, PTM, quantization and coding : DCM, DM, slope overload error. ADM, DPCM, OOK systems – ASK, FSK, PSK, BSK, QPSK, QAM, MSK, GMSK, applications of Data communication.
UNIT III SOURCE CODES, LINE CODES & ERROR CONTROL (Qualitative only) 9
Primary communication – entropy, properties, BSC, BEC, source coding : Shaum, Fao, Huffman coding : noiseless coding theorum, BW – SNR trade off codes: NRZ, RZ, AMI, HDBP, ABQ, MBnB codes : Efficiency of transmissions, error control codes and applications: convolutions & block codes.
UNIT IV MULTIPLE ACCESS TECHNIQUES 9
SS&MA techniques : FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, SDMA application in wire and wireless communication : Advantages (merits) :
UNIT V SATELLITE, OPTICAL FIBER – POWERLINE, SCADA 9
Orbits : types of satellites : frequency used link establishment, MA techniques used in satellite communication, earth station; aperture actuators used in satellite – Intelsat and Insat: fibers – types: sources, detectors used, digital filters, optical link: power line carrier communications: SCADA
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1.Taub & Schiling “Principles of communication systems” Tata McGraw hill 2007
2.J.Das “Principles of digital communication” New Age International, 1986
1. Kennedy and Davis “Electronic communication systems” Tata McGraw hill, 4th edition, 1993.
2. Sklar “Digital communication fundamentals and applications“ Pearson Education, 2001
3. Bary le, Memuschmidt, digital Communication, Kluwer Publication, 2004.
4. B.P.Lathi “Modern digital and analog communication systems” Oxford University Press, 1998.