Anna University, Chennai
D E P A R T M E N T O F A E R O N A U T I C A L E N G I N E E R I N G A E 2 2 0 4 – E L E M E N T S O F A E R O N A U T I C S
Q U E S T I O N B A N K P A R T A
1. What are high lift devices? What has prompted their development?
2. What is the basic difference between a hot air balloon and an aircraft?
3. What is equivalent air speed? How is it related to true air speed?
4. What are the functions of ailerons in an aircraft?
5. Define Troposphere and temperature lapse rate.
6. Define aerodynamic center.
7. Enumerate the stiffener shapes used in aircraft fuselage shell.
8. What are the main advantages and disadvantages of composite materials for aircraft structures?
9. State the propellant burning configurations possible in solid propellant motors.
10. What are hypergolic propellants? Give an example.
11. Differentiate between anhedral and dihedral.
12. What do you mean by “Absolute ceiling”?
13. What is the purpose of elevator?
14. Enumerate the engine instruments.
15. Define ‘Air foil’.
16. What is ‘aerodynamic center’?
17. Explain the term ‘Empennage’.
18. State the uses of titanium alloys in aircraft industry.
19. Define ‘specific impulse’ of rockets.
20. What is cryogenic propellant? Give example.
21. Distinguish between air breathing propulsion and rocket propulsion.
22. What are the new t ypes of alloys used now-a-days for airframe construction of modern aircraft?
23. Name any four components of airframe of an airplane and mention their functions.
24. What is stratopause?
25. Define Mach number.
26. What are the general types of construction of an airplane structure?
27. What are the general considerations for the fuselage design of an airplane. Name any two.
28. What is the basic operating principle of a piston engine?
29. Define specific impulse of a rocket.
30. What is jet thrust?
31. Differentiate between biplane and monoplane.
32. State the two kinds of aircraft.
33. Differentiate between conventional control and powered control.
34. What are the basic instruments for fl ying?
35. Define ‘absolute altitude’.
36. Explain ‘Mach Number’.
37. Differentiate between Monocoque construction and semi-monocoque constrction.
38. Enumerate the composite materials.
39. What is ‘Ramjet’ engine?
40. What are the advantages and the disadvantages of rocket propulsion?
P A R T B
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of monoplanes compared to biplanes?
2. Explain why swept back wing concept has been developed.
3. Discuss the advantages of carry through structures connecting cantilever wings.
4. Describe a Ramjet engine and compare its working principle with SCRAMJET
and turbojet engines.
5. Describe the major components of an aeroplane with a neat sketch and explain their functions.
6. Enumerate the basic instruments used for fl yi ng.
7. Describe the flight instruments measuring ATTITUDE of an aircraft.
8. Discuss the temperature variation with altitude of standard atmosphere and classify the atmospheric layers.
9. Derive the expressions relating the standard atmosphere values of pressure, densit y and temperature at any altitude in the troposphere with that of sea level values.
10. Describe an airfoil and explain its nomenclature.
11. Define center of pressure, coefficient of pressure and Mach number.
12. Express lift and drag of an airfoil in terms of normal and axial forces.
13. Explain how aeroplane wings are constructed and indicate the choice of materials for the main components.
14. Write a short note on composite materials and their applications to aircraft
15. Discuss briefl y the choice of material for aircraft engine components.
16. Discuss the need for Alcladaluminumalloys for aircraft structures.
17. With a neat sketch explain the principle of operation of a turbo prop engine.
18. What is a cryogenic rocket engine? Explain
19. Explain in detail:
(i) Static stabilit y with example.
(ii) Dynamic stabilit y with example.
20. (i)Define standard atmosphere.
(ii) State the Bernoulli’s principle.
(iii) Explain its application of subsonic flow.
(iv) State the four forces acting on an aircraft inflight.
21. Define Lift (L), Drag (D) and Pitching moment (M).
22. State the points to be observed for pressure distribution on an aerofoil.
23. Enumerate the six factors of an ideal aerofoil.
24. Explain the t ypes of fuselage constructions with sketches.
25. Explain in detail about the fundamental designs on which the using
(i) Draw and indicate the common wing forms.
(ii) Enumerate the main structural parts of a wing.
26. Describe with a neat diagram, a basic hydraulic system with hand pump.
27. Describe the operation of turbojet engine with a neat diagram.
28. (i) State and classifications of rocket engines.
(ii) State the advantages and disadvantages of liquid propellants rocket engine over other t ypes.
29. Explain the operation of a solid of a solid propellant rocket motor with a neat diagram.
30. Create new airfoil profiles, new fuselage designs, gas turbine engine powered propulsion system and flight control systems.
31. (i) Discuss the classification of flight vehicles. Mention the criteria for classification.
(ii) What are the salient features of monologue construction of an airplane structure?
32. (i) Name any two basic instruments for fl ying. With illustrations explain their operating principle.
(ii) With neat sketch, explain the construction of a t ypical aircraft wing. Show allthe structural components of wing construction and mention the types of loads/stresses experienced by the structural members.
33. (i) What is international standard atmosphere? How are the various regions of atmosphere classified?
(ii) With neat illustration, describe how lift and drag are produced, when an airfoil is placed in a uniform air flow.
34. (i) Explain how pressure, temperature and altitude are related in the mathematical Representation of atmospheric propert y variations with altitude. (ii) Draw a t ypical sketch of an airfoil and identify the important terminology with respect to its geometrical features. Draw any two NACA airfoils and
35. Explain their nomenclature.
(i) Bring out the essential differences between piston t ype engines and jet engines for aircraft propulsion.
(ii) What are the applications of rockets? How are they classified?
36. (i) Explain how a propeller produces thrust for aircraft propulsion. (ii) What are the merits and limitations of turbojet engines?