Anna University, Chennai
AE1401 – AVIONICS QUESTION BANK
SRINIVASAN ENGINEERING COLLEGE, PERAMBALUR
AERONAUTICAL DEPARTMENT AE 1401 – AVIONICS Answer All Questions
PART A – (2 marks)
1. What is avionics?
2. Explain the advantage of using avionics in civil aircraft.
3. Explain the advantage of using avionics in military aircraft.
4. Give the general advantage of Avionics over the conventional aircraft system.
5. Define the usage of avionics in space systems.
6. Give few examples of integrated avionics system used in weapon system.
7. Give few examples of integrated avionics system used in civil airlines.
8. Explain “illities” of Avionics system.
9. Give various systems where the avionics used in aircrafts.
10. Explain the steps involved in design of avionics system.
11. Give few examples of Standards used in design of avionics system.
12. What are digital computers?
13. Give the need for standard documents in the design of avionics system.
14. What is a volatile memory and give examples?
15. Give the advantages of digitization.
16. What are major drivers for avionics in civil transport aircraft?
17. What is aliasing?
18. Differentiate between volatile and non volatile memories.
19. How are reliability and maintainability related to each other?
20. What is microprocessor?
21. Explain the usage of microprocessors in Avionics system.
22. Explain the registers of microprocessor?
23. What is Accumulator?
24. Explain the types of memories?
25. Explain the major components of microprocessor.
26. What is fetching?
27. Give few avionics architecture.
28. Explain Federated architecture.
29. Explain centralized architecture.
30. How is federated architecture different from centralized architecture?
31. Explain MIL-STD 1553B components?
32. Explain the status word of MIL-STD 1553B.
33. Explain the bus controller and Remote terminal of MIL-STD 1553B.
34. Explain ARINC 429 standard.
35. Explain ARINC 629 standard.
36. Differentiate between Civil and military communication standards.
37. Differentiate between ARINC 429 and ARINC 629.
38. Differentiate between MIL and ARINC standard in terms of RT?
39. Differentiate between MIL and ARINC standard in terms of BUS speed?
40. What is the need for two different speeds in ARINC 429 data bus?
41. What is an auto pilot?
42. What is brick walling or partitioning in avionics architecture?
43. Define Glass cockpit.
44. Define plasma panel.
45. Differentiate LED & LCD.
46. Explain CRT and its usage in aircraft displays.
47. What is meant by DVI?
48. What are MFD and its significance in Aircraft?
49. Explain the advantage of HMD over MUD?
50. Explain MFK and its usage.
51. What is HOTAS?
52. Explain HUD?
53. What is usage of night vision goggles?
54. Explain advantage of EL over Plasma display.
55. Explain the need of communication system in airline.
56. Explain Navigation.
57. Explain the types of Navigation.
58. Explain Dead reckoning type of navigation.
59. What is INS?
60. What are different types of INS?
61. What is GPS?
62. Explain about P and C/A codes.
63. Compare INS and GPS.
64. What is Flight control system?
65. What is Actuator?
66. Explain different types of actuator.
67. What is FBW?
68. What is FBL?
69. Explain the advantage of FBW over conventional FCS.
70. Explain FBW over FBL.
71. What is strap down Navigation?
72. What is FMS?
73. What is meant by jammers in electronic warfare?
74. Give the difference between ECCM and ECM.
75. Explain RADAR.
76. Explain Certification.
77. Explain V & V
78. Explain Reliability.
79. Explain maintainability.
80. Explain the steps of certification.
81. Explain the document support for Certification.
82. Explain Electronic warfare.
83. Explain the advantage of GPS over conventional navigation.
84. Explain the specific advantages of INS.
85. Explain Gimbaled INS.
PART B – (16 marks)
1. i) Explain the need of avionics in Civil and military aircrafts.
ii) Explain few Integrated Avionics system and weapon system.
2. i) What are the major design drivers for avionics system?
ii) Describe the various ‘illities’ in Avionics systems.
3. With a neat block diagram explain the integration of different avionics system.
4. i) Explain clearly the top down design procedure that is adopted in Avionics system design.
ii) List the factor on which Avionics design is evaluated and explain each factor in brief.
5. Explain the various layers of Avionics systems used in a typical airplane with a neat sketch.
6. Explain the design and technologies involved in avionics system and the standards used for it.
7. With a neat sketch explain 8085 microprocessor architecture in detail.
8. i) Draw the functional representation of ROM memory cell and explain the concept underlying the ROM.
ii) Describe with a block schematic how a digital computer can be used to measure analog signal
9. Explain the interference of seven segment LED with the microprocessor to display a binary data.
10. Compare the memory mapped I/O and peripheral mapped I/O in Microprocessor.
11. Discuss the various avionics architecture in detail.
12. Explain the ARINC 429 data bus in detail.
13. Explain the ARINC 629 data bus in detail.
14. Explain MIL STD 1553 B data bus in detail bring out clearly the bus architecture, protocol, word ad message formats and coupling methods.
15. i) List the evolution of avionics architecture starting from first generation to fourth generation.
ii) Describe in detail about one of the third generation Avionics Architecture with block schematics.
16. a) Compare and contrast the display technologies CRT,LED,LCD,EL and plasma panel
b) What are the various types of CRTs used in civil and military aircraft and explain them in detail.
17. a) Explain the basic principle of HUD and what are its limitations?
How are they overcome in
b) what are special features of DVI?
18. a) Describe the layout of a cockpit.
b) Describe voice recognition & speech synthesis technology.
19. What is navigation system and explain the various types of navigation with examples.
20. Explain MFKs, HMD, HUD and HDD in detail.
21. Describe a FBW flight control system and its characteristics and redundancy concept in detail.
22. Explain the operation of inertial navigation system and explain its two types of construction.
23. What is FBW explain its salient features with the block diagram in comparison with the conventional flight control system.
24. What is FBL and explain its salient features with block diagram in comparison with
25. a) what is the need for a communication system in aircraft?
b) Explain one of the most modern reliable communication systems used in aircraft with a block schematic.
26. What is GPS and explain the working of it with codes of communication used for locating the object.
27. Explain in detail about Radar Electronic war fare and its salient features and its usage.
28. Explain Certification and explain the various steps involved in certification of avionics system.
29. What is Dead reckoning navigation system and explain any one type in detail.
30. Explain Conventional Flight control system and advantage of FBW to overcome the disadvantage of Conventional FCS.