Question Paper Code: E3068
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATIONS, MAY/JUNE 2010
Common to all branches (except Marine Engg)
CY2111 Engineering Chemistry I
Time: Three Hours
Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
Part A - (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
1. How i s water sterilized by ozone?
2. What i s calgon conditioning?
3. Why thermosetting plastics can not be remoulded?
4. Mention two advantages of polymer matrix composites.
5. What is Freundlich’s adsorption isotherm?
6. Mention any four applications of adsorption.
7. Distinguish between nuclear fission a nd fusion reactions.
8. What are th e applications of lithium batteries?
9. What i s meant by thermal spalling with respect to a refractory?
10. Under w hat situations solid lubricants are used?
Part B - (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) 0.28 g of CaCO3 was dissolved in HCl a nd t he solution w as made upto one litre with distilled water. 100 ml of the above solution required 28 ml of EDTA solution on titration. 100 ml of a hard water sample required 33 ml of same EDTA solution on titration. Another 100 ml of t he same water, after boiling, cooling a nd filtering required 10 ml of EDTA solution on titration. Calculate the temporary and permanent hardnesses of water. (8)
(ii) What i s break point chlorination? Indicate its significance.(4)
(iii) 100 ml of raw water sample on titration with N/50 H2SO4 required 12 ml of the acid to phenolphthalein endpoint an d 15.5 ml of t he acid to methyl orange indicator. Determine th e type a nd amount of alkalinity present i n the water sample. (4)
11. (b) (i) Explain th e demineralization of water by ion-exchange process. How a re exhausted cation an d anion exchange resins regenerated? (8)
(ii) What i s reverse osmosis? Explain desalination of water by reverse osmosis method. What a re the advantages of RO method? (8)
12. (a) (i) Distinguish between addition and condensation polymerizations with one example each. (8)
(ii) Give th e preparation a nd uses of Lexan. (4) (iii) Mention t he properties of engineering plastics. (4)
12. (b) (i) What is vulcanization? Explain why natural rubber needs vulcanization. How i s it carried out? (8) (ii) What are composites? Write a detailed note on fibre-reinforced compos- ites. (8)
13. (a) (i) Differentiate between physisorption an d chemisorption. (8)
(ii) What a re t he various factors influencing t he adsorption of a gas on a solid? (8)
13. (b) (i) What is t he role of adsorbents i n catalysis? (8)
(ii) What is t he role of activated carbon i n air and water pollution control? (8)
14. (a) (i) With a neat sketch explain th e working of light water nuclear power plant. (8)
(ii) Write a note on solar cells. (8)
14. (b) (i) What i s reversible battery? Describe th e construction a nd working of Lead acid storage battery with reactions occurring during charging a nd discharging cycles. (8)
(ii) What are fuel cells? Describe th e construction and working of H2-O2 fuel cell. (8)
15. (a) (i) Explain any five properties of refractories? (10) (ii) What a re abrasives? How a re they classified? Give one example for each.(6)
15. (b) (i) What are fluid an d boundary lubrications? Explain. (8) (ii) What are carbon nanotubes? Explain any three of their important appli- cations. (8)