B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATIONS, JANUARY 2010
Common to all branches
GE2112 FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTING AND PROGRAMMING
Time: Three Hours
Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
Part A - (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
1. Distinguish between Analog and Digital computer.
2. Convert 0.4375 decimal to binary system.
3. Distinguish between compilers an d interpreters.
4. What is a web server?
5. What i s an algorithm?
6. Give the importance of a graphics packages.
7. Write a code segment using while statement to print numbers from 10 down to 1.
8. Write a C program for the following expressions.
(i) a=5 <= 8 && 6!=5
(ii) a = b++ + ++b where b = 50
9. How strings ar e represented in language C?
10. What are the advantages of unions over structures?
Part B - (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) What are th e characteristics of a computer? Discuss (6) (ii) Briefly explain t he various generations of computers. (6) (iii) Convert the decimal number 59.8125 into binary an d octal. (4)
11. (b) Explain the different components of a computer system with block diagram. (16)
12. (a) (i) Describe the different types of software with examples. (8) (ii) List the different software development steps an d explain. (8)
12. (b) (i) Explain the common types of internet access. (6) (ii) Write short notes on web browser. (5)
(iii) Explain a typical structure of URL. (5)
13. (a) Draw a nd explain th e various symbols of flowchart and also draw the flowchart to add an array of N elements. (16)
13. (b) (i) Explain the features of PowerPoint package. (6) (ii) List a nd explain th e features supported by spreadsheet package. (6) (iii) Briefly write about Desktop Publishing Software. (4)
14. (a) (i) What are th e different operators available in C? Explain with examples. (12)
(ii) Differentiate between signed a nd unsigned integer. (4) OR
14. (b) (i) Explain th e following conditional statements. (10)
1. nested if-else statement
2. switch-case statement
(ii) Write a C program that reads a number and display whether the number is prime or not. (6)
15. (a) (i) Write a C program to reverse a given string. (10) (ii) Differentiate pass by value and pass by address in C. (6)
15. (b) Write a C program that gets and displays th e report of n students with their personal and academic details using structures. (16)