CY2161 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY – II Syllabus
To impart a sound knowledge on the principles of chemistry involving the different application oriented topics required for all engineering branches.
• The student should be conversant with the principles electrochemistry, electrochemical cells, emf and applications of emf measurements.
• Principles of corrosion control
• Chemistry of Fuels and combustion
• Industrial importance of Phase rule and alloys
• Analytical techniques and their importance.
UNIT I ELECTROCHEMISTRY 9
Electrochemical cells – reversible and irreversible cells – EMF – measurement of emf
– Single electrode potential – Nernst equation (problem) – reference electrodes – Standard Hydrogen electrode -Calomel electrode – Ion selective electrode – glass electrode and measurement of pH – electrochemical series – significance – + potentiometer titrations (redox – Fe² + vs dichromate and precipitation – Ag - vs CI titrations) and conduct metric titrations (acid-base – HCI vs, NaOH) titrations,
UNIT II CORROSION AND CORROSION CONTROL 9
Chemical corrosion – Pilling – Bedworth rule – electrochemical corrosion – different types – galvanic corrosion – differential aeration corrosion – factors influencing corrosion – corrosion control – sacrificial anode and impressed cathodic current methods – corrosion inhibitors – protective coatings – paints – constituents and functions – metallic coatings – electroplating (Au) and electroless (Ni) plating.
UNIT III FUELS AND COMBUSTION 9
Calorific value – classification – Coal – proximate and ultimate analysis metallurgical coke – manufacture by Otto-Hoffmann method – Petroleum processing and fractions
– cracking – catalytic cracking and methods-knocking – octane number and cetane number – synthetic petrol – Fischer Tropsch and Bergius processes – Gaseous fuels- water gas, producer gas, CNG and LPG, Flue gas analysis – Orsat apparatus – theoretical air for combustion.
UNIT IV PHASE RULE AND ALLOYS 9
Statement and explanation of terms involved – one component system – water system – condensed phase rule – construction of phase diagram by thermal analysis – simple eutectic systems (lead-silver system only) – alloys – importance, ferrous alloys – nichrome and stainless steel – heat treatment of steel, non-ferrous alloys – brass and bronze.
UNIT V ANALYTICAL TECHNIQUES 9
Beer-Lambert’s law (problem) – UV-visible spectroscopy and IR spectroscopy – principles – instrumentation (problem) (block diagram only) – estimation of iron by colorimetry – flame photometry – principle – instrumentation (block diagram only) – estimation of sodium by flame photometry – atomic absorption spectroscopy – principles – instrumentation (block diagram only) – estimation of nickel by atomic absorption spectroscopy.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. P.C.Jain and Monica Jain, “Engineering Chemistry” Dhanpat Rai Pub, Co., New Delhi (2002).
2. S.S.Dara “A text book of Engineering Chemistry” S.Chand & Co.Ltd., New Delhi (2006).
1. B.Sivasankar “Engineering Chemistry” Tata McGraw-Hill Pub.Co.Ltd, New Delhi (2008).
2. B.K.Sharma “Engineering Chemistry” Krishna Prakasan Media (P) Ltd., Meerut (2001).