EC2151 ELECTRIC CIRCUITS AND ELECTRON DEVICES
(For ECE, CSE, IT and Biomedical Engg. Branches)
UNIT I CIRCUIT ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES 12
Kirchoff’s current and voltage laws – series and parallel connection of independent sources – R, L and C – Network Theorems – Thevenin, Superposition, Norton, Maximum power transfer and duality – Star-delta conversion.
UNIT II TRANSIENT RESONANCE IN RLC CIRCUITS 12
Basic RL, RC and RLC circuits and their responses to pulse and sinusoidal inputs – frequency response – Parallel and series resonances – Q factor – single tuned and double tuned circuits.
UNIT III SEMICONDUCTOR DIODES 12
Review of intrinsic & extrinsic semiconductors – Theory of PN junction diode – Energy band structure – current equation – space charge and diffusion capacitances – effect of temperature and breakdown mechanism – Zener diode and its characteristics.
UNIT IV TRANSISTORS 12
Principle of operation of PNP and NPN transistors – study of CE, CB and CC configurations and comparison of their characteristics – Breakdown in transistors – operation and comparison of N-Channel and P-Channel JFET – drain current equation – MOSFET – Enhancement and depletion types – structure and operation – comparison of BJT with MOSFET – thermal effect on MOSFET.
UNIT V SPECIAL SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES
(Qualitative Treatment only) 12
Tunnel diodes – PIN diode, varactor diode – SCR characteristics and two transistor equivalent model – UJT – Diac and Triac – Laser, CCD, Photodiode, Phototransistor, Photoconductive and Photovoltaic cells – LED, LCD.
TOTAL : 60 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS:
1. Joseph A. Edminister, Mahmood, Nahri, “Electric Circuits” – Shaum series,Tata McGraw Hill, (2001)
2. S. Salivahanan, N. Suresh kumar and A. Vallavanraj, “Electronic Devices and Circuits”,Tata McGraw Hill, 2 Edition, (2008).
3. David A. Bell, “Electronic Devices and Circuits”, Oxford University Press, 5 Edition, (2008).
1. Robert T. Paynter, “Introducing Electronics Devices and Circuits”, Pearson Education, (2006).
2. William H. Hayt, J.V. Jack, E. Kemmebly and steven M. Durbin, “Engineering Circuit Analysis”,Tata McGraw Hill, 6 Edition, 2002.
3. J. Millman & Halkins, Satyebranta Jit, “Electronic Devices & Circuits”,Tata McGraw Hill, 2 Edition, 2008.