B.E/B.Tech, DEGREE EXAMINATION, JANUARY 2009.
CY 2111— ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY – I
(Common to all branches of B.E.IB.Tech. Except Marine Engineering)
Time : Three hours
Maximum: 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A —(10 x 2 =20 marks)
1. What is the hardness of a solution containing 0.585 grams of NaCl and
0.6 grams of MgSO4 per litre?
2. How is the exhausted zeolite softener bed regenerated?
3. Explain functionality of a monomer with a suitable example.
4. Explain condensation polymerization with a suitable example.
5. What is the role of adsorband in catalysis?
6. What is the effect of increase in temperature and increase in pressure on the
adsorption of a gas on a solid?
7. What is a breeder reactor?
8. State the reaction when a lead storage battery is recharged.
9. Give two examples for neutral refractory.
10. Explain the lubrication action of graphite.
PARTB—(5x 16=80 marks)
11. (a) (i) Explain the softening of water by deionisation process. (8)
(ii) How is the temporary and permanent hardness of water determined? (8)
(b) (i) What is meant by reverse osmosis? Explain the purification of water by reverse osmosis. (8)
(ii) Explain the softening of water by zeolite process. (8)
12. (a) (i) Write the mechanism of free radical polymerization. (8)
(ii) Discuss the synthesis and uses of SER and Eutyl rubbers. (8)
(b) (i) Give an account on fibre reinforced plastics. (10)
(ii) Describe the synthesis of polyurethane and state its uses. (6)
13. (a) (i) Derive the Langmuir Adsorption Isotherm and interpret the results
(1) at Low pressure and
(2) at high pressure. (10)
(ii) Distinguish between Physisorption and Chemisorption. (6)
(b) (j) State Friendlich adsorption isotherm and explain the ternis in it. Explain the different types of adsorption isotherms of gases on solid. (10)
(ii) Discuss the role of adsorbands in pollution abatement. (6)
14. (a) (i) Give an account on H2 —02 fuel cell. (8)
(ii) Explain the construction and working of a Cd-Ni cell. (8)
(b) (i) Describe using a block diagram the light water nuclear reactor for power generation. (10)
(ii) Give an account of solar cells. (6)
15. (a) (i) What are the characteristics of a good refractory? Write a note on carborundum. (8)
(ii) What are lubricants? Discuss the different types of lubrication. (8)
(b) Write short notes on any TWO of the following:
(i) Carbon nanotubes (8)
(ii) Refractoriness (8)
(iii) Synthetic abrasives. (8)