B.E./B.Tech.Degree Examinations,Nov/Dec 2010
Common to all branches
GE2112 Fundamentals of Computing and ProgrammingTime: Three Hours
Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
Part A - (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
1. What are Super computers? Give examples.
2. Find the hexadecimal and decimal equivalent of the number (1110101101)2
3. List few application software's.
4. How each computer in the internet is being identified?
5. What is the difference between program and algorithm.
6. What are the main software's in o±ce package.
7. What do you mean by `C' Tokens?
8. Write a C program for the following expressions.
i. a = 5 <= 8&& 6 ! = 5
ii. a = b++ + ++b where b = 50
9. What is the value of b in the following program?
10. Consider the declaration:
Illustrate the application of size of operator to this structure.
Part B - (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Illustrate the process of addition and subtraction in 1s and 2s complement
system with suitable examples. (8)
(ii) Explain the evolution of computers. (8)
11. (b) (i) Find the decimal equivalent of the number(A2B:D8)16 (3)
(ii) Find the binary equivalent of the number(108:625)10 (3)
(iii) Draw the block diagram to illustrate the basic organization of computer
system and explain the functions of the various units. (10)
12. (a) (i) State and explain the various steps involved in development of a software.
(ii) Differentiate between application software and system software.
12. (b) (i) Explain the following: WWW, URL, Internet Service Provider, Web Browser. (Marks 8)
(ii) Explain the various types of internet connection. (8)
13. (a) (i) Explain guidelines for preparing flowcharts,benefits and limitation of flowcharts.
(ii) Write an algorithm for finding sum and average of n numbers. Also state the properties of a good algorithm. (8)
13. (b) What is pseudo code? How does it differ from flowchart? write a pseudo code
to add up all the even numbers between 0 and 100 and print the result. (16)
14. (a) (i) What are the different operators available in C? Explain with examples. (12)
(ii) Differentiate between signed and unsigned integer. (4)
14. (b) (i) Write a C program to compute the following function: S = (x2 +x4 +...+ x2n)=n. Trace the program for the values x = 2 and n = 5. (12)
(ii) Compare `for', `while' and `do-while' loops. (4)
15. (a) Explain, with examples, the different types of storage classes in C. (16)
15. (b) (i) Discuss the different forms of macro substitution in preprocessed directives.
(ii) Define a structure called student that would contain name, reg-no and marks of five subjects and percentage. Write a program to read the details of name, reg-no and marks of five subjects for 30 students, calculate the percentage and display the name, reg-no, marks of 30 subjects and percentage of each student. (10)